Monday, October 19, 2009

Cadillac Jack's South Carolina Trip Diary

I got this from Cadillac Jack's Blog.

The cameras. The flashes. Paparazzi?

Surely not – Have I been found in Charleston at the 21 East Battery Bed and Breakfast nestled behind the Edmondston-Alston House (deep sarcasm here)? I can see them peeking through the wrought iron gates… some daring enough to take a couple of extra steps down the cobblestone drive to strike for a closer shot.

Folk’ snapping away day and night – but, it was not intrusive. Quite the contrary. I found it very interesting.

Pulling out onto the main drive, now outside the gates with the shutterbugs looking back at the Carriage House just beyond a live oak which nearly swallows the estate, I ask Innkeeper Julie as she waves us off home safely to Atlanta about the prestige and uniqueness and interest in the home.

Her answer will surprise you as much as it did me.


But first… our weekend journey through the Palmetto State begins in the Upcountry of South Carolina.





THURSDAY, OCTOBER 8
MID-DAY
I grew up in the Carolina’s. I was familiar with the city of Greenville. Passed through many of times while traveling back home to Charlotte on Interstate 85. I must admit most of the time it was a quick bite to eat (kid friendly, of course) or to top off the tank.

I looked forward to an afternoon of discovey with my wife Donna. Kids at home with Nana. The drive is 2 hours max. Straight shot up 85. It’s a beautiful afternoon. The sun is shining and the sun roof is rolled back. Miranda Lambert’s new CD is blasting and we’re relaxing and we’re laughing and I am as in love with my wife as the day we first met.

AFTERNOON
We check into the Westin Poinsett on South Main Street (Greenville’s only 4 diamond hotel) and we decide to waste no time and waste no sunshine and dart back out the door for some exploration. Visit their website

I learned that Greenville is a city with plenty of stuff to do with the kids (in addition to the many parks around town or green space and trails and the Liberty Bridge at Falls Park on the Reddy River – more on the Falls shortly). Check out the Greenville Zoo (Visit their website) and the new kid’s museum “Children’s Museum of the Upstate” (Visit their website).

A smoothie from the Brew & Ewe on West Broad Street was the perfect complement to our afternoon stroll which continued past the Heritage Green (considered downtown Greenville’s cultural centerpiece) the Peace Center (my dad has attended several events here and he says it’s great for comedians and great for concerts too – it is also the home of the Greenville Symphony) and then to Falls Park and the Reddy River Falls.

Falls Park is the heart of the City’s Riverwalk Park system and is home to Reedy River Falls and the Liberty Bridge which stretches 380 feet across the falls plus two amphitheatres and a beautiful public garden.

NIGHT
My dad was able to drive over from Asheville, North Carolina to join us for a great dinner at Soby’s (Visit their website). “Soup” our waiter told us that the menu had just changed – the chefs mix it up about every quarter to keep it fresh. We discovered and savored delicious and creative dishes inspired by rich, Southern traditions and infused with new, International flavors. Our table was soon filled with Cornmeal Fried Oysters, Soby’s She Crab Soup, a couple of BLT Wedge salads (with a delicious very creamy Blue Cheese dressing). Entrees included Soby’s Meatloaf with Maple Creole Mustard Glaze (dad), Seared Scallops with a sweet corn and bacon risotto (Donna) and I chose Braised Beef Short Ribs and I didn’t even use a knife! The ribs are braised with Thomas Creek Root Beer BBQ Sauce.

Remember me mentioning that the menu is tweaked occasionally? On the last menu the ribs were braised with Cheerwine – a favorite soft drink of mine (not available in Atlanta) that I enjoyed three ways while in South Carolina for the weekend. In a can from the Flying J Truck Stop off I-26 in Columbia. In a cold bottle from the Moon Pie Store in Charleston and from a fountain over ice at the Krystal in Aiken on the return home.

No comments: